Everyone loves a cheap vacation. There is nothing better than getting away, whether it be for the short term or long, and knowing that you found a great deal and were able to save some money along the way. There is actually quite an easy and affordable solution out there for most vacation destinations that a lot of travelers forget to think about; vacation rental homes or self catering vacations. A vacation home rental can offer you so many things that you will not find at those cookie cutter conglomerate resorts and hotels, and for a better price.
Instead of being shut up in a room next to hundreds of people, dining in hotel restaurants that have customers crammed in and trying to find a free spot in the pool to stretch out, you can find a home away from home that meets all your needs. A lot of travelers will argue or suggest that the service at a hotel is what makes it worthwhile, but if you really want to experience a new culture and engage in some adventure, there is nothing like renting a home and creating your own meals and your own schedule.
Why Choose a Vacation Villa?
A vacation home rental is often not the first thing that comes to mind when people consider a vacation getaway, but there a number of benefits that come hand in hand with this decision. With a hotel, you are staying in a room. With a vacation villa or home, you get exactly that, a home. These homes are set up so you can make full use of all the space and comforts that you cannot find in other places. Often times you will even be supplied with all the amenities offered in resorts, without all the hassle, extra tipping or standing around in line at the service counter. On top of all of this, you have the ability to save money while staying in a bigger, nicer place. What more could you ask for in a cheap vacation?
These types of rental homes and villas are actually a lot more readily available than you might first imagine. You name the destination, and there are bound to be rental opportunities abound. From Fiji to Bali to Thailand to Colorado to Vancouver, there are rental homes everywhere and you can surely find one to suit your needs and your budget.
Luxury Getaway on a Low Budget
Possibly the biggest benefit when it comes to vacation homes and a cheap vacation, is the ability to barter on the prices and take advantage of off seasons. With name brand and mega resorts, they are so stacked up with business that you are simply just a number, without any priority. Their pricing is set, and often inflated, and there is no room for negotiation. If you contact the owner of a rental property directly, they will often be more than happy to discuss lowered rates, deals and extra amenities, especially for long term stays. For instance while a vacation villa may cost close to $900 for a week, you can often bargain if you are going to be staying for a month and get the price for close to half off. This is not unheard of at all in many instances.
What hotel or resort can offer you that kind of deal or service? Also keep in mind that it is someone’s home and they are proud of it and want to make you happy. Owners will often go out of there way to give you everything you need and ensure you have a good time. Their reputation is on the line much more than a cookie cutter resort, and they would love to have you as a repeat customer. You are more than just a number and are treated as such, as long as you respect the home as if it was your own.
How Can I Find the Right Rental Home?
So now you know the benefits of finding a vacation home rental, but you are probably asking, “Well, can it really be that easy”? The good news is that if you do your research, prepare for your holiday and contact a number of different villas and rental homes, then it really isn’t all that hard. Sure it may take more work than calling up an all inclusive resort and getting a package, but the reward and feeling that comes after creating your own dream, cheap vacation is unrivaled. What you might find is that you actually become overwhelmed with options, which can make it difficult to make a final decision. Here are some tips and suggestions on how to find the perfect vacation home for your next affordable getaway.
5 Tips on Finding the Perfect Vacation Rental Home
1. Take the time out of your week to browse around and do your research. Chances are you will fall in love with a villa fairly soon after beginning your search. However, do not settle. Keep looking around and see what else is out there. You wouldn’t just stay in the first mega resort you came across, so why would you do that when shopping for a vacation rental home? You may in fact end up coming back and choosing that first home, but you will have peace of mind that you chose the best one and found the best deal.
2. Compare prices and negotiate. Often times, vacation home websites will list the most expensive villas first or try to sell you on them. The truth is that there is a lot of competition out there and you can use that to your advantage. If you find a great villa that is just out of your price range, contact the company and see if they can offer you a deal. You could really benefit by letting them know that you are looking at other villas in the area and are just having a tough time making a final decision. As shark like as it is, many villa owners or companies will give you a deal just to keep the competition from winning over your business. Use this to cut down the cost of your vacation.
3. If you are having trouble or not getting straight answers to your questions, contact the owner directly. In many cases the owner is the only one that will be able to give you the in depth answers you are looking for, or the discounts. Use a website such as www.vrbo.com which allows owners to directly list their houses. You will find more personal pictures of the home and find more information.
4. If you are looking to really have a cheap vacation then try staying somewhere a little more recluse. The further you are from the main attractions in the area, the lower the cost will be. You can still find it easy to get around many times, and some villas even offer a hired driver. Sometimes a home away from it all is exactly what you were looking for in the first place. A perfect example of this is Ubud in Bali, Indonesia. While villas on the beach cost thousands of dollars per month, you can find a luxurious mansion in Ubud for around $1,000 for the whole month. The best part is that you are still just a twenty minute drive from the best beaches the island has to offer.
5. Ask for what you want and you shall receive. If there are certain extra necessities you want, then do not settle for anything less. If you need the internet to take care of some work, ask for it. If you are set on having a private pool, then search for a home that has one built in. In some cases the home owner will even find a way to supply you with amenities that they do not usually offer, just to keep you happy.
To conclude, vacation rental homes are a great way to save money and plan that perfect vacation getaway at the same time. You can find a comfortable home where you can work in peace at an affordable price. So many people overlook the idea, or brush the idea, aside and opt for that easy all in one vacation deal. Not that there is any harm in that, sometimes being waited on hand and foot can have its advantages. However if you are looking for a way to live abroad, work abroad or get away from home for a longer time, then vacation villas are something that you need to look into. Have a look around, choose the destination you are in love with first and then get in contact with the right people. Do not be scared to ask questions. The more you ask and the more people you talk to, the better the deal you may be able to find.
Happy house hunting and happy tanning or whatever it is that you want to do.